Friday, January 18, 2008

Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Story:
After hard years in exile for a crime he didn't commit, Benjamin Barker now Sweeney Todd, returns to London to find his wife dead and his daughter in the hands of the evil Judge Turpin. In his anger, Sweeney goes on a murderous rampage on all of London, with the help of Mrs. Lovett, he opens a barber shop in which he lures his victims in with a charming smile before casually ending their life with a flick of his razor across their neck. But not one man killed, nor ten thousand men can satisfy Sweeney's lust for revenge on those who've caused his years of pain.

I have always had a soft spot for musicals, and I proudly add this one to my list.

The story was a wickedly twisted one that was fun to watch and lovely to hear. It quickly pulls you in and before you know it you're cheering for Todd and Mrs. Lovett, despite the horrible deeds they commit.

Johny Depp was amazing as usual. I was already aware of how well he sang from his performance in Crybaby, but it was a whole new experience to hear him sing in Todd. The songs were, obviously, a whole new style and it was great to hear him sing them in a much more "serious" role.
Helena Bonham Carter was my favorite in the film. Her character was absolutely adorable. Mrs. Lovett is someone who wins your heart, she was so much fun to watch during the films and her songs always made me laugh. She may be more twisted than Sweeney Todd, but she somehow still carries on a sense of innocence.
Phenominal work, Carter.

Many will recognize Alan Rickman from his role as Proffesor Snape in the Harry Potter films. In Todd he plays the role of the evil Judge Turpin. His role was one you quickly learn to hate, which (to plainly state it) means that he did a fantastic job.
Kudos.

There were a lot of younger actors that had amazing voices in this film. Jamie Campbell Bower, who played the role of Anthony Hope, is only twenty. He had a shockingly pure voice that took my breath away. He has only performed in two other films, The Dinner Party (2007) and RocknRolla (completed).
I hope he continues doing well.

Jayne Wisener, who played Johanna, has never recorded her voice, nor has she acted before Todd. Her's was a voice that was sweet, gentle, child-like. It was a sweet sound that you miss when the song ends.

However, the award for the most impressive voice in the film goes to Ed Sanders (IX) hands down. Playing the role of a young boy named Toby, Sanders steals all the scenes he's in. His voice carries on strong for someone his age, and I was completely blown away by it.
And he wasn't too shabby of an actor either. *wink*
I hope to see his work again soon.

My only complaint on the film is the absense of Danny Elfman's music. I understand that it is based on an original Broadway play but I was really hoping Tim Burton's usual partner in crime, Danny Elfman, would redo the music. Keeping to the basic idea, but adding a dash of his own flare.
Danny Elfman and Tim Burton work so well together, that I was actually a little saddened to hear his absense. I couldn't help but wonder throughout the whole film what it would have been like if I was hearing Elfman's music instead.

Overall, the movie was fantastic. Thumbs up, Burton.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your work Jany. ^_^ I Know you may think you're rusty, but I believe your work is still spectacular. Although, there were a few grammatical errors in this, but it wasn't anything too bad. ^_~