Sunday, August 23, 2015

10 Random Words

gems: Carnivorous Goliath-like bipeds characterized by their immense height, weight, and strength. They are as dark as burned tree bark, with large, thick arms and legs, and their bodies are barren of all hair. Their eyes run a gauntlet through yellow, red, and green, and shine like fires in the dark.

battle: The sound of quick, panicked movement through an underbrush. Usually in reference to small creatures scurrying between branches as they seek shelter from storms.

whisper: A person or creature that hunts or preys on small, winged fairies. Most human whispers use poisons and netting as their tools of capture while animal whispers excrete pheromones that stun or drug the fairies.

doll: A breed of canine characterized by its pitch-black fur, large size, and sickly thin bodies. Doll cubs (or "dollies") are as large as an adult tiger, and grow to be thrice that size by adulthood.

aroma: A mythical, glowing blue stone that is said to grant the magical properties of greek sirens to whomever wields it.

estimate: Weather characterized by severe winds and damaging rains, similar to a hurricane.

childish: A red fruit known for its blue seeds and pink leaves -- its juices are commonly used in most herbal remedies to diminish pain.

feelings: Botanic quadrupeds indigenous to rain forests with the ability to mask themselves into their environment by entwining their vines with the plant life.

lurker: The last shadow cast by an object or organism in a day.

crawler: A person who spends an unhealthy or unseemly amount of time on the computer or internet.


-----------
Disclaimer: If you're a student and you've stumbled upon this page during a vocabulary assignment, DO NOT use these definitions. Your sentences will make zero sense and your grade will suffer.

I knew this was going to be hard, but damn. This is my entry for "Day 12" of the 30 'Day' Writing Challenge wherein I had to find ten random words and invent my own definitions for them. I took this to mean that the definitions I invented had to be wholly unrelated to what the word actually meant. So when I googled a word generator and it gave me "gems" I figured I had to exclude anything dealing with rocks or stones from my definition and anything dealing with fighting for "battle," and so on.

Gotta tell you, most of these were NOT easy to find new meanings for. When I found the generator I was hoping for some words I didn't see often or even know, but instead it gave me these basic words and I had to keep stopping myself from thinking of what they were and forcing myself to think of something new (which was the point, I know). It was worth the struggle, though, because in the end I got to envision some pretty cool creatures in my head... :)

Day 2: Write a FanFiction.
Day 16: Go to iTunes, put your music on random. Write a story about the first song that comes up. (250 words or less)
Day 22: Write a story based on a dream you had.
Day 12: Find 10 random words and create your own definitions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.