Thursday, December 13, 2007

Rescue Dawn

Now war movies aren't always my favorite. They just don't always catch me. I didn't like "Braveheart" until the second half, I liked "Tristan & Isolde" more for the story line rather than the fight scenes, and I loved "Troy" and "300". So it all depends on the movie.

I am happy to say that I enjoyed "Rescue Dawn." It felt slow for me at first but it picked up for me half way through. I think the only reason it didn't catch me earlier than that is because it was all soldier life which I have never been exposed to. Things that were supposed to be funny or common knowledge went right over my head, and even after the torture scenes didn't hit. If I recall correctly there was complete silence during those scenes and a good soundtrack/score is very important when it comes to sucking me in.

"Rescue Dawn" is the story of Lt. Dieter Dengler's capture, escape, and rescue.

The story really doesn't need more description. You are there for it all. I always enjoyed stories like this, where nothing out of the ordinary happens, just what did happen. That's right, this is based on a true story.

Christian Bale was magnificent as usual. He never fails to impress me. With one scene you are convinced you're watching his struggles live.

Now, Steve Zahn BLEW MY MIND AWAY! I have never before seen him in a serious role and so for what might be the first time I was finally able to see his acting talent shine. His character, Duane, broke my heart over and over again. He threw his whole heart, soul, and body into his character, and it clearly shows.

I was really impressed with his performance.

Whether or not movies like this are your cup of tea, I recomend it. It has a fantastic story, based on a true one at that, with characters that will not only pull your heart strings,
they become a part of you as well.

1 comment:

Adrian James said...

Christian Bale = The Man