Monday, March 24, 2008

The Boondock Saints

Although I've been told of the film, The Boondock Saints, it wasn't until recently that I had the chance to watch it. I have to say, I'm really glad I did.

Boondock Saints tells the story of two brothers who, after defending each other in a fight, decide to rid the world of all crime-- By killing all who they deem evil.

The story was fantastic. Kudos to Troy Duffy on an amazing script.
With every line and every event you see just how strong the bond is between the brothers Murphy and Connor MacManus. Watching them fight together, and defend each other, was really amazing.
Not only that, but the "mission" they go on is one that doesn't leave your mind. The subject Duffy portrays for us on-screen is an extreemely controversial one: Crimelords, murderers, rapists-- they all get walk out of court, grinning from behind their untouchable shields. If someone decided to take them off the streets, permanently, do we praise them for it? Or do we treat them no different than the ones they hunt?
This isn't just an action movie, it is a film worthy of thought and consideration.
Terrific job, Troy Duffy. Thumbs up!

The two brothers, "Murphy and Connor", were portrayed beautifully.
They were played by Sean Patrick Flanery ("Connor") and Norman Reedus ("Murphy").

Sean Patrick Flanery has played a lot of roles when you list them, however the only other film I've seen him in is Powder; which was tricky character to pull.
Norman Reedus has also had various roles but I have only seen him in Blade II in which he played the role of "Scud."
I was blown away by both actors in their performance in Boondock. There were many scenes that called for some intense emotions and, trust me, when these men screamed-- you feel the pain in their voice.

One performance that I must point out is Willem Dafoe's role of Officer Paul Smecker. Most would know Dafoe from his role in Spider-man as both the "Green Goblin" and "Norman Osborn," but I find his role in Boondock much more memorable.
The role of Paul Smecker could not have been easy to portray, he is one of the most complex and eccentric characters I have ever come across. I was really impressed with Dafoe's performance in this film, it takes a really gifted actor to pull off a character like this.
Congrats Willem Dafoe, you just earned a lot of respect in my book.

The movie is enjoyable from start to finish; wether it be for the performances, the script, the subject, or the witty humor throughout, The Boondock Saints is a film I highly recommend to anyone.

2 comments:

Eamy said...

It is about time that you saw this movie and their bond is what made it go into the annuls a movie I can watch multiple times.

And yes, Dafoe's acting in this movie is immense! I loved it.

Alybutler said...

I was blown away by Norman Reedus in this particular performance. for me he has always been a talented actor and he's always been so open to playing diverse roles whether it be Masters of Horror, Six Ways to Sunday, Antikorper, Moscow Chill, Gossip, or his absolutely bone chilling performance in Dark Harbor he is always able to deliver a spectacular performance.
As for Sean Patrick Flanery i am equally impressed with his performance in The Boondock Saints he was able to produce such raw emotion in this film that it was his best since Powder. and i'm still hoping to see him reach the peak he did in The Boondock Saints once again.
Willem Dafoe is just phenomenal he always is.
David Della Rocco brought alot to the film he was a funny charismatic character, and actor.
Troy Duffy Really hit the mark with The Boondock Saints an instant classic. it's honestly one of my favorite film and i was 8 when it came out which shows how age versatile the film is as well. i cannot wait to see the infamously rumored All Saints Day, or his upcoming work The Good King.