Friday, March 21, 2008

My Sister's Keeper

Today I just finished a book titled My Sister's Keeper by the authoress Jodi Picoult. I have never read anything by Picoult, but have heard many good things of her work from the guests at work. So one day when I was passing through Wallmart I spotted the book section and found her name. I read the description on the back and was reeled in.
And I'm glad I was. The book was fantastic.

It tells the story of the Fitzgerald family, whose eldest daughter, Kate, suffers with leukemia since age two. When her parents, Sara and Brian, find that their son Jesse is not a genetic match for blood transplants and other treatments, they make the unique decision to turn to Stem-cell research to create the perfect match for Kate-- to save her.
Anna always knew her role in the family was defined by Kate's condition, and continued to save Kate time and time again. But when it is decided for her to perform yet another, more invasive procedure for the sake of her sister, Anna makes a choice that will not only shock her family...but might also break it.

Jodi Picoult has a reputation of writing with controversial issues-- in this case, stem-cell research.
This causes the reader to not only enjoy the story, but to also consider what he or she might do or feel in a similar situation. This allows for a deeper level of appreciation that is growing hard to find in most stories today.
Well done, Picoult, I respect and admire your talent as a writer.

The story is told from each character's point of view, switching at each "chapter."
This is a hard style to pull off due to the fact that not everyone can write in different personalities, and still hold the reader's attention.
It is far to easy to down-play one character by not making them three-dimentional, and too easy to make another character seem flawless in their mind, they also have to give each character equal attention throughout the book.
It is an extreemely difficult thing to convince a reader that they are reading from a completely different mind-set, especially if you are writing out the mind of the opposite sex.

Jodi Picoult is able to do this flawlessly.

I was blown away by how complex every character was. Everyone had their secrets, their regrets, their fears, their joys... None of the "main cast" was two dimentional, they all had a story, and Jodi made you know them.

And even more amazing than that,

she makes you care.

The story is one of many twists and turns, each more surprising than the last.
I was completely sucked in to the point where my eyes even widened and I stared at the page in shock.

Now THAT is good writin'!!

The ending is one I never expected, and still surprises me.
That is another amazing thing about this book; it keeps you hooked even when it's over.

My Sister's Keeper is definitely a fantastic read. Highly recomended to anyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow sweets! I want to read the book now. You did a great job considering that its your first book review. However, I think you treated it more like a movie, but that doesn't mean it was bad. Like I said you did a great job and I look forward to you telling me more about it.

~*ME!!