Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

Alright, I forgot to write this after I saw it Saturday and have been busy with school since then so this review might not be as long or detailed as I'd like, but I hope it gets the point across.The point? The movie is fantastic!

Based on the bestselling book by Philippa Gregory, The Other Boleyn Girl tells the story of the Boleyn sisters who fight for the heart of a king in hopes to please their father and raise the family's status in society.

This may sound like your typical chick-flick and, sure, you could see it that way, but the reality is that anyone can enjoy this film. To watch how everyone is manipulated for the betterment of another, then having every single plot slowly fall apart is something no one gets tired of.
It's a powerful story.

The entire cast was perfect in their performance. Not a single weak link in the bunch.

The role of the younger sister, Mary Boleyn, was played by Scarlett Johansson-- who you all might recognize from The Black Dahlia or The Prestige-- and the eldest son, George Boleyn, was played by Jim Sturgess-- 21 and Across the Universe.
Both were flawless in their performance. Every line, every expression, every emotion-- give them anything and they can do it, all the while tugging at your heart.
Awesome.

However, the actress who impressed me most was Natalie Portman, hands down. She played the role of the eldest daughter, Anne Boleyn, who fought to find her own way to make her name in society.

WOW!

That's all I can say for her performance: WOW!

This film revealed to me that Natalie Potman doesn't get anywhere near the amount of credit and respect as she should for her talent. My jaw dropped as I saw her on that screen. Every emotion was so raw, and her face showed such a wild variety of emotion with the slightest of change-- a talent I have only seen matched by Cillian Murphy.
And if you've seen Murphy in action before, and know what I'm talking about, then you know what I mean when I say she's phenominal.
She's the real deal, folks. We are definitely going to see a lot more from her, and I bet all my money she will never dissapoint.

I can not wait to see her in another film soon. She is now my favorite actress, no contest.

I strongly suggest you catch this flick in the theaters, it's well worth the money for food and tickets.

1 comment:

Eamy said...

Towards the middle Anne really didn't do it for the betterment of her family status it was mostly as revenge against her sister and pure spite. But man it was so darn good.
And you forgot to mention the colors!