Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Charlie Bartlett

A couple of nights ago my brother rented a movie for the whole family to watch. It's been a while since we've done that; the renting and the family thing.

Anyway, the film was Charlie Bartlett, and let me tell you-- this will be a tricky one to review.

The film revolves around a teenage boy, Charlie, going to a new school-- a PUBLIC school --after being kicked out of yet another private school. He doesn't get along so great on the first day, as the swirly gift clearly shows, but eventually changes his luck when he begins to give psychiatric help to the students. He would listen to their problems or "symptoms" and then reenact them to his family's psychiatrist who then assigns some prescriptions... which Charlie then sells to the students!!

After watching the film, I knew right off the bat not everyone would enjoy it. It seems to be targeted to viewers with a specific taste. I myself enjoyed it, but wouldn't call it fantastic. Only way I can maybe give you all a hint as to whether you'll like it or not is this: If you liked or loved JUNO, then you'll at least enjoy this movie. I LOVED Juno, it's one of my favorites now, and enjoyed Charlie Bartlett, but didn't go crazy for it.
That's all I got.

Charlie was played by Anton Yelchin. He's done movies and shows before, but the only recognizable title I found was the movie Along Came A Spider, although I can't remember his face in it. I'll have to re-watch that at some point.
But, boy, Yelchin must have had a BLAST doing this role. The character is so bizarre and unlike any character I've seen before. It made for a really enjoyable watch, and provided lots of laughs.
Awesome job, Yelchin, hope you do another fun character soon.

Charlie's love interest and close friend is Susan Gardner played by Kat Dennings. She also stars in the new film Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. The two most well-known films she's done work in the past are The 40 Year Old Virgin and, for all you Hilary Duff fans ((which to be honest I am NOT)), Raise Your Voice.
Dennings' character was really sweet. Susan is just a normal teenager who's struggling to handle losing her mother at the same time as her father loses himself. She quickly befriends Charlie and grows a liking to him as well. They attempt to help each other in their struggles to move along.

My favorite character, however, is definitely Principal Nathan Gardner played by our very own Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr.
Principal Gardner was my favorite character to watch because he was the one going through the most, in my opinion. He hates his job, lost his wife, is losing the respect of his only daughter, has none of the respect of his student body, and now has to deal with the "new kid" who the whole school listens to after just a few days.
Downey gives an incredible performance as his character's whole life falls apart around him. It was really something else to watch Downey, who I've always seen playing characters in full control of their life, portray someone who is the complete opposite. 
If he was missing from the film I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did.
Really incredible.


So if you liked JUNO then I recommend you pick this film up as well. Maybe you'll absolutely love it, maybe not. But I know it's worth at least 3.9 stars out of five.

1 comment:

Eamy said...

I did want to see this movie when I saw the commercials. I didn't know Downey Jr. was in it at all and I think that is going to make me want to see it more.
I think I will mention it to Josh's father and he'll pick it up for his collection.