Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Yes, I was sucked in. When I first heard of this show I wasn't interested at all. When my brother bought the first season and started watching it with me and the family, sure I enjoyed it, but still didn't really feel like following the show.

And then there was the Season Two Premiere.

Oh. My. God.


Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Season Two
Episode One
"Samson and Delilah"

The opening alone was so... beautiful. It was done in slow motion with a song about Samson and Delilah ((which I have to find now and buy or download because it was fantastic!!)) playing, being the only thing heard other than an occasional crash.
It starts out with Cameron, played by Summer Glau, climbing out of the exploded car and making her way to the house, limping. Now I know Terminators have no expressions... but she still looked amazing. A type of strengh I can't even begin to describe, and she doesn't let up throughout the whole episode.
This is one talented-as-all-hell actresses. And she's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Oh, and Thomas Dekker? The guy who plays John Connor? WOW. The man is really impressing me with his acting. There is a shot in the opening scene when his mother, Sarah, is being choked by someone and the camera cuts over to him and the look.... the look on his face.... it's such rage. Pure rage. NOTHING like the John Connor in the first season. The man looked like he was ready to kill.
And it's not the only scene where his character is like that, it carries out through the show.
John is not a kid anymore. 
He's done running.
He's done hiding.
He's going to fight back.

Lena Headey, who plays the show's name sake Sarah Connor-- and also played "Queen Gorgo"  in 300 --has never had a problem convincing me she's a mother. 
She's a B.A. fighter, a protector, but she's also a mother who worries for her son-- not only for his physical state but for his mental state as well. 
There is a scene in the episode where she is talking to John through a door, explaining that she loves him no matter what and that she is still proud of him.
She pauses and says: "I know you need more from me today, but... it's going to have to be enough."
Her eyes tear and her voice goes unsteady as she says this. She tries to be there for her son, tries to do all she can...
But she can't do everything.
She can't give him everything.
And it hurts her.
And it shows.

I'm really looking forward to watching this show now. The cast is fantastic, not of them lacking in anyway, and the story has gotten me hooked.
When my brother first saw the episode ((he saw it before me)) he called me up when it was over, out-of-his-mind excited about the whole thing. My boyfriend text me the exact same emotions when he first saw it as well.
I didn't think it would be as big a deal as they said.

I was wrong.

It really is an increasingly fantastic show and I am definitely going to follow it.

2 comments:

Adrian James said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adrian James said...

You were really sick while watching this episode, so I couldn't get a good read on your actual feelings toward it. I'm happy to hear you liked it as much as I did. It really was a great episode.

"We have to kill her John--"
"I KNOW! ... I know."

Awesome. Re-watch it if you can. I did and caught more great faces and looks and subtleties (sp?) I missed the first time.

As for your review, good job. I wish it was longer. But then again, my posts are always essays and I shouldn't expect the same out of everybody else. I just feel you left out Agent Ellis, and even though Derek didn't have much to do in this episode, he's worth mentioning too, i think.

Otherwise a great post though. Only noticed one small typo. No biggie. Great stuff. Keep it up.