Wednesday, September 24, 2008

HEROES: Villains - Episode 1 & 2

Monday night was the world premiere of HEROES: Villains. I've been looking forward to the first episdoes since I knew the writers would be back full-force. Last season had GREATLY suffered thanks to the Strike ((I am in no way blaming the Guild)) and the Companies' stubborness. But I digress.
After the first episode alone, fans around the world were cheering for the confirmation that the show we all fell in love with is back.
HEROES IS BACK!!

!!! NOTE: Remember that all my reviews (unless otherwise notified) are SPOILER-FREE and so if you haven't been able to see the episodes yet, read on without fear.


HEROES
Season Three: Villains
Episodes: One - "The Second Coming"; and Two - "The Butterfly Effect"

Just a few minutes into the first episode I felt the same... essensce? spirit? on the show that I felt during the first season. It was that feeling that drew me to the show in the first place, so I welcomed the return of it happily.
The episode picks up right where it left off in the last season. And I mean that literally. Peter is running after the man he believes shot his brother, Nathan, as seen in the last episode of Season Two.
Milo Ventimiglia, known as Peter Patrelli in the show, is truly impressing the more I see him. The first episode blew me away right off the bat. The expressions on his face at various moments always show such intense emotion. He, like Ali Larter ((who played Niki/Jessica last season)), can change his whole appearance by simply changing his eyes or stance. He was my favorite character to watch in these episodes. He stole every scene.

Ali Larter, known as Niki/Jessica Sanders in Season Two, is definitely another favorite. I never truly appreciated her talent until this show. It's incredibly hard to pull off a split personality, and Larter did it with ease. She would sometimes not even change her facial expression, yet you knew when it was Niki and when it was Jessica standing before you.
That is one talented actress.
I was happy to see her return to the show despite her character, Niki's, death last Season. This review is spoiler-free so I will not explain how she is back, just be happy she is.
Especially since now her character is a dominant, strong woman who is clearly in control. 
Like Milo, her character was one of my favorites to watch. 

Another actress I never fully appreciated until this show, is Hayden Panettiere; also known as Claire Bennet. Like Milo, Hayden impresses me the more I see her. Whatever emotion is required of her, she can deliver. From being the most confident, to being a broken spirit. She can do it all.
And I love every scene of it.

Masi Oka, our time-traveling friend Hiro, is as quirky and comical as ever. He is just such a fun character, always good for a laugh. Can't wait to see more of him.

Cristine Rose, the Patrelli mother, is as suspicious as ever. Some of her true nature is finally revealed and it is shoking. This is a woman who you do NOT want to mess with. She may not be able to physically fight you, but she has her ways to bring you down to size. A truly evil mother, even by teen angst standards.

Ah, but who could forget the real villain? Zachary Quinto, our very own Sylar, is back. As seen in the last episode in Season Two, he is cured of the virus that inhibited his powers; and so has retaken the mission to find Claire and take her power of healing.
Quinto is at his best in this show. Whenever he's stalking a victim he is always the creepiest thing you've ever seen. The man's a monster, one that loves to terrorize...
One that we all live to watch.


If you haven't been watching the show, now is the time to jump in. It's a thrilling ride that will blow you away again and again.

1 comment:

Adrian James said...

Great review. You're getting better! You get the message across without spoiling anything. And you already know I agree with you about both Ali Larter, and now Milo Ventimiglia. Milo's scene at the hospital, where he's croutched down on the floor distraught and mourning? That was awesome.

By the way, fix you episode titles. Episode one is called "The Second Coming" and Episode two is called "The Butterfly Effect."