Friday, September 19, 2008

Go Ask Alice

Title: Go Ask Alice
Author: Anonymous
Genre: Teen Fiction
Synopsis: A fifteen-year-old drug user chronicles her daily struggle to escape the pull of the drug world.

Wow. I repeat, Wow.
This book was.... incredible. Anonymous does an amazing job pulling me into Alice's world. Each diary entry shows so much about what happens to drug users that it was actually quite frightening at times. There was no censorship to what this girl went through.
So many times I would find myself jaw-dropped.

Alice.
Alice is someone everyone could relate to, and I was no exception. I found my own emotions being pulled alongside hers. She tries to be strong, tries to make her own way and find a way to define herself.... but so many things go wrong. Alice is dragged through Hell and back in her attempts to overcome her addictions.
It's easy to admire her drive to be better and mourn her mistakes.
She could be some of my own friends; and just as easily be thousands of others.

This story is as gripping as Anne Frank's diary. One that I will never forget.
4.5 stars.


A/N = My next choice of book to read is titled Broken by Daniel Clay. Like the writer of Speak Softly She Can HearBroken is Clay's first novel.

1 comment:

Adrian James said...

In response to your comment on my site: I will definitely lend you Girls Vol 2. I was already planning on it, without you even asking.

As for book books... Its not that they don't grab me, or I don't want to read them... its that I know they, for the most part, are so long and require so much time and attention... I'm 2 months behind on my comics as it is... I don't have much time for the long Novel Type books. I borrowed "Saving Charley" from you, what, two weeks ago? And I'm only on chapter 2. When I have more time on my hands, I definitely want to get back into novels. There's a few Star Wars Novels I want to read and other such books... Its been years since I last read a novel. Not since the Left Behind series, and I didn't even finish the last book of that one.